"Before life coaching was a profession, there was Rosemary Daniell." - Zona Rosan Pamella Smith, Atlanta
"Rosemary Daniell is one of the great writing teachers I have seen at work in the country." - Pat Conroy, author of The Prince of Tides
"Rosemary Daniell is enormously gifted . . . She is one of the women by whom our age will be known in times to come." - Erica Jong
◦ July 19– July 26, 2014(*15 minutes from Savannah, Georgia)
Application below and online at
To learn more about Tybee Island, browse
◦ Scroll Down For More Information & Application Form
◦ RosemaryDaniell is known as one of best writing coaches in the country. The author of SECRETS OF THE ZONA ROSA: HOW WRITING (AND SISTERHOOD) CHANGE WOMEN’S LIVES, and its prequel, THE WOMAN WHO SPILLED WORDS ALL OVER HERSELF: WRITING AND LIVING THE ZONA ROSA WAY. She is the founder and leader of Zona Rosa®, a series of creative writing workshops in Savannah, Atlanta, and cities throughout the country, as well as in Europe, as profiled in People, Southern Living and The South magazines. Over 130 Zona Rosans and counting have become published authors. She is also the award-winning author of six other books of poetry and prose. Her revolutionary memoir FATAL FLOWERS: ON SIN, SEX AND SUICIDE IN THE DEEP SOUTH, won the 1999 Palimpsest Prize for a most requested out-of-print book. Along with her second memoir SLEEPING WITH SOLDIERS, it was a forerunner of the current memoir trend. Along with her four other books of poetry and prose, they were widely and nationally reviewed in many publications, among them Time, The New York Times, the Washington Post, the Philadelphia Inquirer, Ms., and Rolling Stone. Rosemary has received many awards, among them two NEA grants, one in poetry, another in fiction. She has reviewed books for The New York Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, Los Angeles Time, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and been published in such magazines as Mother Jones, Harper’s Bazaar, Self, Travel and Leisure, New York Woman, and other magazines, as well as many literary publications. She has also appeared on a number of national radio and TV shows. In 2008, she was given a Governor’s Award in the Humanities for her impact on the state of Georgia. She was also profiled in Feminist's Who Changed America, 1963-75.
Our Pajama Party for Grown-Up Girls with Smarts ©!
◦ This weeklong workshop is intended for serious writers of fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry, as well as beginners who wish to become more serious about their writing, or simply use writing as a tool for healing or enrichment. The workshop will begin on Saturday afternoon, July 19, with an optional informal get-together at 5:00. From Sunday through Thursday, Rosemary will meet with writers during the mornings, then lead group sessions in the afternoons from Sunday through Tues, and again on Thursday from two until five p.m., with a final session on Fri from two until four p.m. There will be plenty of time and space to write and go to the beach, and in the evenings we’ll have fun! The workshop will end with a reading on Thursday afternoon, followed by the annual Zona Rosa party at Rosemary's house in Savannah on Friday evening, July 25 (friends, Zona Rosans from the community, and significant others are invited, too!). Check in at our retreat house on Tybee will be after 4 p.m. on Saturday, July 19. Check out time at 10 a.m. on Sat morning, July 26. Those who’d like to stay over on Tybee or in Historic Downtown Savannah can do so by making further motel or hotel reservations for that time And F.Y.I.: Our retreat house at 110 Miller Ave, Tybee Island, is appropriately titled “Happy House!” The new. three-story house, is posh in every way and includes every amenity we might want, including WiFi, an elevator, a deck and two porches, and the beach is a short walk away. To view the house inside and out, go to Tybee Joy Vacations Rentals and click on Happy House.
"When are you going to stop pretending you don't know who you are, and what you were sent here to do?"
- a Jewish rabbi's prayer
Registration Application A Non-Refundable Deposit of $675 is due with your application. Balance due on July 1, 2014
*Zona Rosa Sister $600_________
Current members of a monthly Zona Rosa group or former students of Rosemary receive a review of 8-10 pages of manuscript or 4-8 pages of poetry, a private consultation, and class time.
**Big Sister $625_________
Participants receive a review of 8-10 pages of manuscript or 4-8 pages of poetry,a private consultation, and class time.
***Little Sister $525_________
Beginning writers or those interested in learning more about Zona Rosa participate in class time and casual conversation with Rosemary and other writers.
****Accommodations $785 __________
Accommodations are available at the retreat location, a large beach house with full kitchen facilities situated a short walk to the ocean. Rooms are assigned on a first-come, first serve basis. Some rooms are larger than others, but keep in mind all the rooms are comfortable and congenial! In addition, a comfortable sofa bed in a sitting room with its own private deck and wet bar is available on the third floor at a slightly reduced rate. Please contact me if you're interested in this lower priced option. This is a new three-story house, three and half blocks from the beach, and it is beautiful!The rooms go quickly, so If you're interested in staying the house, please register as soon as possible.
***** Per day rates for those with other accommodations with workshop reading and ms critique $135__________
With workshop participation only $75__________
(Deposit not applicable to per day rates) Deposit for day rates (due with application) $25 Total__________
◦ Balance Is Due for Those Staying at the Happy House by July 1.
◦ Full Directions And Other Details Will Follow Upon Registration. Print application & mail along with check made to Rosemary Daniell to Rosemary Daniell, 1205 Skidaway, Savannah, GA 31404 For further information, contact Rosemary at email@example.com
KOKOPELLIWOMAN SPEAKS: Rosemary Daniell and the Zona Rosa writing group
Last Saturday was a day of spiritual and creative breakthroughs. My writing teacher, Rosemary Daniell, the High Priestess of the Zona Rosa writing group, was in town giving a workshop to the Austin/San Antonio Sub-Rosa women who are obsessed with writing. I attended aprior workshop last May, and immediately knew that this was the place for me. Rosemary, author of Secrets of the Zona Rosa, The Woman Who Spilled Words All Over Herself, Fatal Flowers, and others, was as usual, a rock of support and information. Mainly, she brings out the best in any writer. Her books on writing are among the most down-to-earth, just-in-time, get to the guts of the matter how-to books I've ever come across. And the woman is a goddess. A genteel, sexy, brilliant, competent recovered Southern Belle, she has influenced the works of many of today's well-known authors. She is a consummate editor, and delivers the goods in a loving manner, tinged with a saucy Southern flirtatious approach. She encourages women to write their truths, and helps them do so in a professional, confident manner. She believes that women have a vital imperative to reveal their inner selves in a way that is most natural to them. At the same time that she gives writers invaluable tools and cues to tighten and craft words to their greatest effect, and to get them out into the world. Rosemary is a breath of fresh air, a scintillating jewel, and writes like a fallen angel. I am proud to link to her Web site, and I urge any writer to take advantage of her wisdom and experience and juiciness. You can buy her books on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Powell's book sites. If you're a woman, and you're serious about writing, Rosemary is your go-to guru.
— Austin Zona Rosan Claudia Snowden, from her blog, Fried Okra Productions
My time with you in Santa Fe at the Creativity and Madness Conference was a holy time.
- Ryder Finnegan, Fayetteville, AR
Rosemary signing books with Terry Kay
at the Spoken Word at the Georgian Terrace Hotel
Please contact Rosemary, too, if you would like to plan a Zona Rosa® workshop—one day, two days, or five days—for your area. She is also available, time permitting, for individual coaching.
"This is happiness: to be dissolved into something great." - Rebecca West
SECRETS OF THE ZONA ROSA: HOW WRITING
(AND SISTERHOOD) CAN CHANGE WOMEN'S LIVES
SUGAR IN MY BOWL: REAL WOMEN WRITE ABOUT REAL SEX, edited by Erica Jong, and published by Ecco/Harper Collins and now in paperback, includes Rosemary's essay, "The One Who Breaks My Heart"